These are unedited transcripts and may contain errors.

NRO/RIR reports

Friday, 17 May 2013, at 9 a.m.:

NICK HYRKA: Good morning, good morning, welcome to this red eye edition. Welcome, you warriors, you survivors, you are here, the final day of RIPE 66. I am the communications manager at the RIPE NCC. And this is the session for the NRO/RIR reports. We will start with the reports from the Regional Internet Registries but we will have a break before we get to the NRO section because we have got so PC election duty to attend to, which will only take a few minutes.

I just wanted to make a personal note of thanks to my team and that is with a capital T, for all the magic and support they make behind the scenes, so I appreciate that, and we can move on to our first presenter and that is Madhvi Gokool from AFRINIC, good morning.

MADHVI GOKOOL: Thank you, Nick. Good morning, ladies and gentlemen. The registration service manager at AFRINIC and I am here today to take you through the AFRINIC update.

A brief summary of what AFRINIC is and what we have:

We are the regional Internet registry for the African continent. As of now, we have 37 full?time staff, of which seven have joined since January. We serve a total of around 1,200 organisations, these figures are as first quarter of this year. And the membership is growing. Results?wise, we still have IPv4 addresses available in our pool, 3 .7 /8s as of now. Since the beginning of this year, we have issued around 500,000 IPv4 addresses. We also issue AS numbers and IPv6.

Regarding IPv6, 30% of our members have an IPv6 prefix; some have the ?? most of the minimum allocation, but some of the big telcos have come back and requested for more than the minimum location for the policy.

What we have also noticed is only 14.4% of those who have IPv6 ?? those prefixes are visible on the Internet. So at AFRINIC we have to continue to develop and diversify or training activities, especially regarding the v6.

This is the membership trend that we have seen in the past six years. As you will notice, our membership base consists mostly of small members, in blue and red LIR extra small and LIR small members, as well as we do have quite a lot of end users on board as well.

We are continuing with our IPv6 outreach and capacity building initiatives. In the past two years, we have had more than 50 training sessions, our training team go into our countries of our service region where we host the trainings, we invite the Telcos, the regulators to come and participate in the training. Last year, we had four webinars in collaboration with orange and ISOC. This is ?? this initiative is being carried on this year as well. We have had a first IPv6 Webinar and there are more that have been scheduled to the end of this year.

The biggest challenges that we have had so far in our ?? and are working on is to get decision?makers involved in the IPv6 process, and to get corporate networks to realise ?? sorry ?? and to get corporate networks to realise the importance of embarking on IPv6 and to incorporate that in their business graph strategy.

We have a new module that has been developed this year, the system administrators course and this course has been adopted by the IPv6 forum, our IPv6 trainers, two of them have been certified by the IPv6 forum, so they can now deliver IPv6 certification after our training courses. We, at AFRINIC, are continuing to work and support the v6 deploy initiative. We have three labs that have been deployed at the moment and that are available for ?? during the training sessions and also available to be booked by the members of the community, should they want to ?? should their engineers want to set up v6, play around with it, get used to it, etc..

Other projects being run, at the moment, in the engineering and ID departments are PKI, we continue the work being done on that. We have DNSSEC, DNS Anycast service. Our routing registry project is in the last testing phase, and what we also are embarking on is the to reorganise all our services and to transition to a virtualised infrastructure.

We have 7 policies under discussion right now, on our mailing list. They will be presented at the next AFRINIC meeting. The first one is the IPv4 address allocation and assignment, which is basically a rewrite of the current policy that is in place, to address ?? to adapt to the current business needs. We have IPv4 location for academic networks that describe how AFRINIC should be evaluating a request or ?? for academy higher education institutions. We have a policy for Inter?RIR address transfers, a policy for the AFRINIC Whois database clean?up, this is a policy that has been proposed but AFRINIC internally has also embarked on such a project.

We have a policy regarding Anycast assignments in the AFRINIC region because the current policies do not allow requests organisations to be eligible for Anycast assignments. And another policy is that AFRINIC should not, it's been proposed that AFRINIC should not allow reverse delegations to be registered unless the members have registered assignments.

And the last one that just came on board the list this week is a new policy saying that we should remove the requirement to announce an entire v6 block as a single aggregate. This, this is a clause in the existing IPv4 allocation policy and it does not cater for the business model that some multinationals have in our region.

So, in resource statistics, we have issued 57 AS numbers since the beginning of this year. Normally, we issue about 130 to 140 ASNs per year.

For the v4, we issue mostly IPv4 allocations. The amount of provider independent assignments is very negligible when compared to the v4 allocations that we issue.

Regarding member service, we do have a lot of activities that we have embarked on. We have the Whois database clean?up. This is in regard to the inconsistencies that we have noted in the databases, sometimes due to bugs, etc., so that we have made a list of and we are trying to resolve them as soon as possible.

We have also the member contact update project. This is a project in which we are contacting our members to get them to sign the original registration service agreement if they have not done so, and also to get them to confirm that their point of contacts that we have currently on our databases are valid.

We are also working on improving our service delivery to our members and we will soon go live with a new member registration portal where we want to address the issues that most, like requesting organisations, especially the small ISPs, they encounter a lot of difficulties when they are trying to request IP address space from AFRINIC.

We have the fire initiative, we are still accepting requests for up until the 31st of May.

And finally, we invite you to attend our next event, it's the Africa Internet summit. It will be held in Zambia between the 9th and the 21st of June.

Thank you very much for your attention, and do you have any questions?

NICK HYRKA: Thank you. Bringing a little bit of Mauritius to us. And Paul Wilson is up next from APNIC. I am your second biggest fan, I think.

PAUL WILSON: Top of the morning, everyone. I actually, yesterday, last night, tried to lead an industrial action in connection with this session, it was going to be a sort of stop work by the red identify union of Friday morning presents but we were plied with alcohol and the whole initiative failed. So here we are.

I am talking about APNIC and what has been happening at APNIC.

Two minutes, is it, Nick? I am not sure if you have seen this APNIC has done some work over the last couple of years ?? over the last year, late last year on our vision and mission. The idea being that an organisation that knows why it exists is easier to understand and easier to track and for us it makes it easier to decide what to do next so. Our vision is of a global, open stable and secure Internet that searches the entire Asia Pacific community. So we have gone back from being an RIR which is only part of the mission, to actually why we do the work we do and all you need to do is think about how policy discussions, for instance, go and what we are really concerned about is exactly that, it's the global nature of the Internet, the openness, the stability and security.

So, we do this through being a regional Internet registry, ensuring that we are known and we act as a trusted neutral and accurate registry. We are assisting our community, APNIC has always had as parts of its mission the idea that we are supporting the development of the Internet and of our community, so we are also leading and advocating on behalf of the community. Now these might seem obvious to you but very haven't had them very clearly articulated in the past and I think this kind of a development is a good way for people to understand us and understand what we are doing and why.

Part of it also is this diagram of where APNIC sits relative to us within the Internet Ecosystem so this kind of info graphic as they call ?? as they call it, is becoming a bit trendy and I think hopefully it's a meaningful way again of having us understood in what is our place in the entire community.

The big circle there shows that we can describe our work, I suppose, in terms of service to members, support of the region and collaboration the Internet community so we are structuring our reporting according to those three sort of planks in the platform as well.

So, the first one serving members, these are usual sorts of activity charts that you have probably become very bored with. This one shows that we had a big increase in v6 allocations and have been fairly steady ever since then but we have, if you do the numbers, we have about 60% of our membership at least holding IPv6 at the moment.

AS numbers have never been a huge area of activity in the region. We tend to have a smaller number of large networks, apparently needing fewer numbers but the interesting thing here, I guess, is the 4 byte ASNs which are climbing slowly as the two byte ASNs tail off and we are getting pretty close to the end of the two byte ASN supplies, I think Elise will probably tell us in the IANA report, not to steal her thunder.

ELISE GERICH: I am not going to talk about it.

PAUL WILSON: Wave last /8 policy similar to RIPE NCC's, anyone who asks whether they have got addresses or whether they come along later can receive one up to an allocation of a /22, I say up to because they can gate /24 and a couple of them if they want to but the total is /22. We have got a very linear rate of allocation of those last /8 blocks and the point of the line is to show we will run out in current rates at about 2030, so the whole point of that policy was to make v4 addresses available through the entire transition process and so far, we are sort of on track, assuming we get this job done before 2030.

The APNIC membership has been growing, particularly with this last /8 policy and the lack of addresses available to ISPs, so we assume that people, the small enterprise networks who used to go to their ISP are coming straight to us and receiving addresses.

Hard to tell exactly where that curve is going to go in future.

V4 transfers has been a big topic, it still is here but we have got it done and dusted. We have got Inter?RIR transfers happening and intra?RIR, that is within APNIC, transfers happening. We do have a demonstrated need policy and the way that we do that is simply to apply the same old policies we used to apply to a request for a transfer, as we did to a request for an allocation, so it's a system that is very well understood by our members, there has been zero complaint about the need to demonstrate need. There is, it's really gone through very, in a very straightforward way.

In my view, over the last 20 years of operations as a registry we have never had any evidence that the demonstrated need policy pushed us underground into the black market economy, there is to reason to assume and we are not seeing any evidence that it's doing the same thing since we have run out of IPv4. It's just business as usual.

We are cooperating with brokers, we have got an agreement with brokers. Brokers actually signed the APNIC membership agreement in order to be recognised and that protects the membership with an indemnity provision which is pretty important.

We have got transfers fees, we charge 20% of the applicable fees for a block which is being transferred. We have got a logarithmic formula which values the address holdings of a member and determines their annual fees and we charge 20% of the applicable fee for a transfer. That is payable by the recipient or by the source, if it's going out of the APNIC region.

And here is our rate of transfers, it's a fairly steady rate, really not a high rate of transfers. You can see it's peaking at about 10 per month, and we have done 8 or so Inter?RIR transfers in total. So not a hell of a lot of activity there but obviously we are really the only one with a test?bed so far. Where transfers have been implemented and are being carried out, and we expect that to increase marketedly as the rest of the community post RIPE NCC exhaust their supply.

The second sector of that diagram I showed you before is about support we give to our region. We include policy development in that, and there is some, a small number of policy developments, policy decisions that are being made recently about demonstrated needs again, clarifying some aspects of demonstrated need in the transfer policy, removing multi?homing requirements from portable assignments in v6. A couple of policies not passed, which are listed there as well.

Training is a big focus, every time we surveyed the membership we get told to do more training and any time we do more training we get told to do more. It's IPv6 primarily but security actually is really climbing rapidly as a priority of our members. In our last membership survey, security appeared on the top of two or three lists of member priorities and demands for services and so on. So that is the ?? that is probably the next area of ongoing development. We do e?learning weekly courses which are available for people to just tune in according to their time zone.

We have face?to?face training, obviously, and on?line training at lab which allows to us do some detailed workshops without carrying gear around.

And there is a map which shows training locations and about 1,000 trainees trained so far this year in the first quarter, so that rate is going up and it's good to see.

We heard from AFRINIC before about the isif Asia is part that have alliance, so we are working with AFRINIC and with Lacnic on this joint small grants programme for ICT deployment and development. This is something that we have been doing for quite a few years at APNIC but it's expanded recently with some funding from this part of the world so we received 1.4 million dollars or so from Swedish Cedar, the Swedish international development agency to help with this global programme and that is going pretty as well.

The third part of the diagram is about collaboration. We have got the APNIC labs activities in measuring IPv6 at very detailed level. I think we are still taking well over a million measurements a day in assessing end user capability for IPv6 in various ways and similar approach being taken to measurement of DNSSEC at the end user level to see what actual capabilities people are experiencing.

Public affairs, we are doing a lot of work around the ITU. Last week was the WTPF which was kind of a non?event compared with the excitement of Dubai last year with the WCIT but it was designed to be that way and the discussions which went on there which interestingly focused on ISPs and IPv6 and IPv4 transition IPv4 exhaustion, it's important that we the registries are getting in there and representing fact and truth in these discussions, those are fairly important prerequisites.

APT is the regional body that feeds into ITU, APEC?TEL, OECD as well.

The Internet governance forum is the place where very importantly everyone gets talk to talk about Internet governance, there is no alternative to the IGF, it it goes away we will be back to having nowhere to go at a global inter?governmental level, then the ITU, and I would really urge everyone here to take an interest in that and understand the IGF may sound like a talk shop because in fact it is but it's holding a very important place.

And finally, you are all invited to Zi?an in China which is the ancient capital of China. It's where they discovered of tens of thousands of terracotta warriors discovered under the ground, it's our 20th birthday meeting and it will be happening in August followed by APRICOT, February in Bangkok. Thank you.

NICK HYRKA: Leslie is next.

LESLIE NOBILE: Good morning, everyone, sorry for the noise here. I have a very short update from ARIN. So, our 2013 focus, like all the RIRs, we are focusing on IPv4 depletion and IPv6 uptake. We are still working on our IPv4 depletion plan, actually we have got it developed but we are working through our phases as we count down to our IPv4 inventory. We are continuing our IPv6 outreach, like all of the RIRs, and we are sort of planning around IPv4 transfers and we keep expecting to see a surge in that area, we haven't quite yet.

We are continuing our development of our new on?line system, our web?based system, it's called ARIN on?line. As part of that we are migrating away from our old legacy systems by developing new functionality in the on?line system.

RPKI deployment, we have we are making quite a bit of progress on and we are continue our participation in Internet governance forums, we do this typically with the other RIRs under the guise of the NRO.

Our current inventory is actually 2.37, I checked this morning. 2.37 /8s in our available pool. We also have space that we quarantine for filtering purposes, space had a we get back that is returned or revoked and we hold it in a bucket. We have got about 6 /16y equivalents there and we have one /10 reserved for a policy called dedicated IPv4 block to facilitate IPv6 development. So those two numbers do not show.

This slide really doesn't tell you anything. Sorry. I could have made it a little bit more interesting. But, we needed several years of data. I didn't do these slides, okay. But if you looked at this year and previous years you'd see a pretty flat line, there is into the lot of growth in R v4, very consistent numbers. So you would have expected some kind of surge, no, not at all.

So same thing with v6, we are not seeing that growth trend that we would like to see, we have occasional spurts like you can see in February but this is also very consistent with previous years, it's fairly flat.

And this actually proves that, because we looked at our IPv4 ?? our ISP subscriber members and there is 4,373 of them, and we are wanted to see how many had v4 and 6 and it seems that 56% of our ISP members still have only v4 ?? v4 only; 6% of them have IPv6 only, which sounds odd but those are our legacy IPv4 ISPs who came into ARIN later for IPv6 address space and became ISP members by virtue of their IPv6 allocations.

And then we have just 37% of our ISP members who have both IPv4 and IPv6. And I have been tracking that for several years now and the percentages grow very slowly.

Recently implemented policy, I won't ?? oh ?? I wasn't going to talk about them anyway.

There is just four of them, and I think Emilio mentioned most of them in his presentation, most related to IPv4 and one is a transfer policy, and our policy proposals that are open, there is only four of them, I am not going to talk about them, he did mention them and a couple of them are IPv6 and a couple of them are IPv4.

And we have completed eleven, that is says eight, that is wrong, eleven Inter?RIR transfers with APNIC, the smallest size we have transferred is a 24, and the largest size we have transferred is a /15 and we haven't seen people beating down our doors for Inter?RIR transfers, we haven't many pending, we have a automated system between the five RIRs developed a process and it's working very well.

Public facing. This is our technical area, what have we accomplished? We have hosted RPKIs since September 2012. We have got 15 organisations with certs 41% ROAs signed and 61% relying parties. We have web?based delegated RPKI as of 2 /16 and we have integrated payments into our ARIN on?line system. We have prodduced the extended statistics report with all of the our RIRs so all five of us have this new format and the extended stats show how much space the RIRs have issued, how much space they have reserved and how much space they have available. Previously, the stats only showed what the RIRs had issued so this is much bigger picture of what is going on with the v4 and all of the space actually, all of the resources in there.

We have an on?line invoice calculator for our customers to determine their registration services fees. We got some work coming up, doing automated invoicing, up/ down work on our dedicated RPKI and we are doing an Oracle to Postgress conversion. We have two meetings coming up, we have now a policy session during the NANOG meetings, so that is coming up in New Orleans in June and then we will have ARIN 32 in Phoenix in October.

And that is all I have. Thank you for your time.

NICK HYRKA: Thank you, Leslie. And next up we have Luisa Villa from Lacnic, customer services manager. Welcome.

LUISA VILLA: Thank you. Good morning, thanks for being here to listen to this long and boring presentation. I am the customer manager at Lacnic and I am going to tell you what is going on in our region.

First, we have reached the 3,000 benchmark of number of members, we are really happy. We have been growing a lot during the last couple of years, that is around 26% per year. Of course, more members means less resources, we have at the moment 2.55 /8s. This is a rate of the allocation, it's been around 2.5 /8s during the last two months. The last months, this is how we have been allocating, it's around 35 percent of our allocations represented IPv6 allocations.

Taking a look at IPv6. Around 52 % of our members have IPv6, that represents ?? well, sorry, 28, 68 percent of those allocations are actually being announced. Regarding the resource certifications, we have around 300 resources being signed, which represents around 5% of the space announced. We did again our customer satisfaction survey and this year we were really, really happy to see it was even very complicated to try to get better results than 2011 and we were really happy to see our customers were very happy with our services. Also last year, we were ranked one of the top five places to work for in euro wide, that was also really good celebration for us.

Regarding the new services that we are giving to our customers, finally, we gave them a new template; before, they used to use this very old?fashioned template and now they have a new one that is via web which is much easier to feel and use and they can follow like the status of the applications, so that is a good improvement.

Another big product that we launched last month in April is Certi v6, that is a product that we created, it's a methodology developed by Lacnic to certify that certain software applications work properly on IPv6.

We are also very happy to announce we have a new organisation joining the Internet had you been of Latin America and Caribbean which is the home of Lacnic. We have going to have ICANN as one of our members in the house.

Other great news:

Last year during our meeting we signed an agreement on signer security with a organisation of American states, we also signed an agreement between Lacnic, Cisco systems, and and answer trade to strengthen the Internet routing system. We are working also in project called Ayitic, which is digital development for Haiti, we did our Lacnic Caribbean meeting last year there we really saw this country is really behind all the other countries in development so we are trying to do some trainings, to do some capacity?building for the development of Haiti. So we have the fourth launch of women in ICT, which is we have the honour to have our special speaker and also Lacnic is member of the United Nations Working Group Enhanced Cooperation.

Some other things that are going on: We are going on the ISO 9001% 2008 certification. Revamp of on?line voting system, so we hope we can use for the coming elections in November and working on our IPv4 depletion plan. There will be a public document that we will publish maybe for our next meeting around October.

Past meetings: As I mentioned before it was in Columbia, we had 457 participants. We have four policies that were discussed in the list, two of them were actually went around that week and two of them were discussed. One of them was actually, it was passed. Is like modifying a few requirements to be a nominee on the ASO AC. The change was that you cannot abmember of the board of directors of Lacnic if you want to be a nominee of the ASO and that is now for ?? the other policy that was discussed was Inter?RIR address transfer. It was a good discussion but it was really hard to get consensus so it's big to discussion, to the list. Prior to that we have our Lacnic 18 meeting, in our guy, it was our 10th anniversary, a nice meeting with 434 participants, eleven proposals were discussed, it was a very busy week for the policies and only four of them were approved and now they are ratified.

So, the up coming meetings, we are going to have our Lacnic 5 in the Caribbean from 17th of July to 19th of July, and we have our Lacnic 20?2013 in Curacao. Finally, I want to thank you for your time. Any questions? Good.


If somebody remembered what was the name of the new product, I give you a little souvenir from Columbia. If not, I will eat it because it's good and I like it. Nobody remember? That is so sad. Okay. I will eat it. Thank you.

NICK HYRKA: Thank you very much, Luisa. We are actually doing well on time, so we are going to invite Paul Wilson to come back and wow everybody again. We are going to shift channels to talk about the NRO and as he is the NRO Chair this year, we will enlighten us on what is going on.

PAUL WILSON: Thank you, Nick. Nick has seen enough of me already, he has got his finger on the pulse. You have probably seen enough of the NRO but here is the obligatory update:

It starts with the obligatory explanation of what it is. Anyone here hasn't seen this detail before? Daniel. You need to pay attention, mate.

Structure, the NRO, I guess you have seen it these days, the, that is in 2003, the NRO office holders have rotated, as they do every year, so it's my pleasure and honour to be the Chair and be presenting this report. The secretary of the NRO is AFRINIC these days, but at the same time, the NRO is also employed it's first full?time position which is executive secretary and ex of Lacnic and since then at APNIC and still based in Brisbane is the executive secretary as of this April. Bringing experience to that role and it's going to make things run quite a lot more smoothly in the NRO.

The ASO, I think everyone probably knows about this, it's the bit of ICANN responsible for global policies. Global policies being defined as the policies which are, which impact on the IANA in IANA's doing of its work.

Part of the ASO is the address council and the address council slowly rotates but these days, from the RIPE region we have got Hans and Wilfried as the members and there are 12 others there for your interest.

We have one of our large expense items for the NRO which is shared according to our expense distribution formula, is 823,000 a year that goes to ICANN as a voluntary contribution. The expense formula changes from year to year, it's based on the total of IP v4 allocations and budget, size of budget, 50% formula. The ASO was reviewed going back to 2011, but the results of that are still being processed and being implemented, so there is a few improvements to the NRO, mostly to its communications and its self explanation that are being implemented there.

The NRO, one of the functions, going back to that first slide that I skipped is to speak on behalf of all of the RIRs, so if the RIRs together have got a position that we have arrived at to be communicated at a global level, then we often do that through the NRO and so within the Internet governance sphere, the RIRs appear individually and also as the NRO, and so, we are involved of course with the IGF, I mentioned it earlier, as we heard there is also the Working Group on enhanced cooperation which is another IGF related or WSIS related thing and a number of ITU events that the NRO is involved with.

So, another developments, we had a pretty good meeting between the heads of the RIRs, that is the EC of the NRO with the I?STAR groups with reps from ICANN, IANA, IETF, IIB in February in Singapore and spoke about many ways in which we can coordinate better, particularly in this current environment of Internet governance being raising in its profile.

We have along the same lines, we have decided to increase the IGF contribution, collectively we contribute 100,000 a year from the NRO. The NRO has got a bunch of coordination groups and we have established better late than never formally on IPv6 and also on registration services and the registration services managers have met recently and had some good exchanges amongst themselves on issues like, as Leslie mentioned before, joint stats and things like the implementation of Inter?RIR transfers, which are ?? which exist at the moment only between ARIN and APNIC, but it was important for us to make sure that what we did is going to work for everyone else as well.

We have some discussions with ICANN at the moment in the area of new RIRs, which are defined, policies are defined by ICP 2, that is the second ever ICANN policy document, and there has been, as you heard, discussions about the issue of the possible issue of an Arab RIR so we are discussing with ICANN the requirements of or the need for any new RIR initiatives to be following the ICP 2 policies.

And there is another one Elise may have mentioned, about the need for IANA to document the source of its policies and a question about where exactly are IANA policies coming from these days, whether they are coming through the ?? with respect to RIRs or through the ASO MoU or the ICANN MOU or coming from other sources as well.

So, that is all. Thank you.

NICK HYRKA: Thank you again, Paul Wilson. And we move on to one more NRO presentation, these are the NRO statistics, and giving this presentation is Ingrid Wijte from the RIPE NCC registration services department. It's all yours.

INGRID WIJTE: Good morning. I will be presenting a number of source report this time and you can see this report is from March this year, we update it quarterly and it's compiled by all the data from the five RIRs together.

The status of the different /8s, 35 of the /8s are not available; these are reserved by the technical community. 91 to central registry, these were distributed before the existence of the RIRs. And the RIRs together hold 130 /8s out of which APNIC has 45, ARIN 36, RIPE NCC 35, AFRINIC five, and Lacnic nine.

What is still available in the RIRs:

As you will know, APNIC and RIPE NCC reached our last /8 so we have less than one, and the other RIRs have two?and?a?half and more, almost four, in AFRINIC, still.

How did we issue the address space: Well there has been a steady growth over the years with some peaks last year. Mostly ?? most likely due to the announcement of IANA that they distributed the last ones and APNIC followed by RIPE NCC, reaching their last /8.

More specifically, RIPE NCC has already issued 34 /8s, APNIC 44, ARIN almost 30 and Lacnic almost 8

Moving on to AS numbers, there has been a study growth and again we see a peak in 2011 and 2012, especially in the RIPE region. This is, again, due to depletion in the regions and in IANA, as we have seen an increase in address space requests and also of PI requests, which typically go together with an AS number.

Again, the detail in this region, we issued almost 27,000 AS numbers, followed closely by ARIN in 25,000, almost. APNIC, almost nine; Lacnic 3 and AFRINIC almost 1,000.

4 byte ASN, RIPE NCC has been issuing quite a bit of those leading to an announcement earlier this year that we have run out of 4 byte ASN and we are now only issuing 2 bytes. And Lacnic is also quite successful in handing the 4 bytes ASNs.

We have issued over 3,000, followed by APNIC, with 1,500, and in third place with lack lick, almost 1,000 which is considering the amount of ASN that Lacnic issues is relatively high, it's quite successful.

Moving on to v6, and the RIRs, each hold one /12 and the /12 miscellaneous represents the /23s that we issued to the RIRs before 2006, before we received our /12.

There has been a steady growth in the region and again we see some peaks in 2011 and 2012. And in 2013, again especially in this region, which is most likely due to the fact that in order to receive a /22 from the last /8, an LIR must already hold IPv6.

Almost 6,000 allocations were issued in this region, followed by ARIN and APNIC, of a little over 2000, Lacnic, number 1,400 and AFRINIC 300.

IPv6 assignments also shows a steady growth. In total, it's a bit less than allocations, RIPE NCC, again has the ?? I keep repeating myself, the peak in 2012. And more specifically, here we issued almost 1,300 ARIN, 1,400, leading the way, with APNIC 600, lack thing in 300 and AFRINIC almost 100.

Now, looking at the membership that holds both v4 and v6, we have crossed the magic line of 50%, so almost 60% of our membership now holds both v6 and v4. Lacnic also crossed that line to 51% pest and the other regions are getting close to 50%.

And this is where the raw data is available and I will take some questions if you have any?


SANDRA MURPHY: Fee, Sparta, these questions are not really directly to you but there were two previous speakers not given the opportunity to answer nigh questions. So, to make sure that they are given that opportunity, I am particularly interested in things that have to do with the RPKI, so from the NRO report, I wondered if there is any progress on single route? There were two public statements from the NRO to, if I have got it right, to ICANN, and there has been ?? no public word for a long time. And the second question had to do with Inter?RIR transfers, there is a report of how many inter RIRs transfers there have been, and they are between 2 RIRs that certify their resources, so I was wondering about process for recertification of allocated resources that have been transferred between RIRs.

INGRID WIJTE: I think I need to direct that to Paul Wilson.

AUDIENCE SPEAKER: I know. I apologise, but I wanted ?? they said are there any questions? And I figured I had better take my chance.

PAUL WILSON: I guess on the NRO position on the RPKI and the work on the global Trust Anchor, still stands and there has been no change to that, but there is also I think a need for consensus among the RIRs about what priority is put on to that activity, and what is the urgency or otherwise to move ahead. I actually think as I understand it, it's in this region that there is sort of lingering concerns about the RPKI so it may be something that people from the RIPE region can comment on.

The transfer process does, the inter?regional process does include certification, the revocation and the reissue of certificates in the RPKI, and it's ?? I am not sure what else I can say about that. It's part of the process and it's, it appears to be functioning. Not that we have got enough use of certificates to actually have experience with issues like transferring records and certificates within a network that is actually operating at the time. I hope that helps.

RUEDIGER VOLK: And Paul, I am sorry you already sat down. Follow?up question: Can you give any hints on what are the things that are actually missing or need to be discussed for making progress? On the question of the global Trust Anchor

RUEDIGER VOLK: Yes. Sorry, I didn't mention.

PAUL WILSON: A consensus to proceed and a question of priorities. And I think as I said, I think the RIPE region is the ?? is perhaps the one which has got some work to do, a position that is not allowing us to proceed or not forcing us to proceed. I mean, the question is, is one of priority and is not ?? there is not a lot of people banging on the door to us for RPKI services yet. We have got plenty of work to do I think.

RUEDIGER VOLK: So I here you right, there is no serious open issue; it is just a question of priorities?

PAUL WILSON: I believe so. But within this region, maybe Axel can comment.

Axel: If you followed the discussion earlier on this week, at the RIPE NCC we are continuing development of the system to the end. The Executive Board has instructed me to instructed the staff at the RIPE NCC not to roll out certification for PI resources, for instance, yet, until there is policy action and there is agreement in the community to fully implement and ?? open the services, so, that is the level of discussion we are currently at. It's not a technical question, really. It's a community will to go ahead and that needs to be proven.

RUEDIGER VOLK: So now, and from last discussions, the bad ? card has changed from ARIN to RIPE?

Axel: There is no change. We do what the community wants to us do and that is not entirely clear yet.

NICK HYRKA: First of all, thank you, Ingrid. And I apologise if I gave you any indication that we don't accept questions; we always do, I guess we got a little ahead of ourselves. We are going to change track for a second because we have an issue with the PC, the RIPE Programme Committee, their elections and Brian Nisbet who is on the RIPE PC will take it from here.

BRIAN NISBET: Good morning. So, as we mentioned and ?? put the slide up before I even asked for it ?? as you mentioned during the week, Todd Underwood, after having done a huge amount of work to set up the PC, has decided not to stay with us, his two year term is over so we have one spot from the community elected members open on the PC. So, we are not going to take a lot of time this morning; what we are going to do is, have those people who are here at this point on Friday and some of the people aren't, give a very short spiel to you or if they have nominated proxies, and then voting opens at 10 on the URLs that you can see there. You will need, as with all these things, a RIPE access account, so yes, at those URLs on the front page of RIPE 66 .net and voting opens at 10:00, so RIPE access account to log in and to vote.

So, if people who are on that list who are in the room or are a nominated proxy of one of the people would like to come up to the front here, that would be great. We have five people, so some of them even look like their pictures. So, we will start on this side and just say a brief spiel on why people should vote for you.

SPEAKER: If you don't know me Joe Provost, ITA Software by Google. I have data on?line, don't want to burn too much time but I have spent a lot of time in the US communities in the development of NANOG into what it is now, into a community?driven and operated system. And I took a little time out of contributing to the various organisations and communities and I wish to help facilitate getting more information from some organisations that might not otherwise be attending or presenting here.

MIKE HUGHES: My name is Mike Hughes, I am a Brit. And when I was asked if I would put my name forward I was really quite honoured and to be following in the footsteps like Todd who has done so much for the community and, really, the PC has reinvigorated the programme of the RIPE meetings, just follow in the footsteps of somebody like Todd is amazing and to stand amongst the people here, as well, everybody here is worthy of ?? David Meyer, you have got a lot more hair and you should be wearing shorts, but to be amongst these people, anybody here could serve this community amazingly but I hope you will give me the chance of doing it.

ANDREW YOURTCHENKO: I am dual stacked so I am Russian and Belgian. And also, I am doing IP and I have been doing NATs before so that is I hope that could be my contribution of being able to see things from various points. And contributed experience and to learn.

SPEAKER: I am not David Meyer or have an incredible hair growth formula. He did ask me to get up and say something for him and I would just say that personally I have seen him do a great deal of work in the NANOG community over the last 20 years, he is a really amaze ag regardless of how little resources he has available he continues to put a massive effort towards the community and I fully support him for RIPE region.

PIOTR STRZYZEWSKI: My name is Piotr Strzyzewski, I am from Poland and start worrying about my hair in this context and I want to be ?? I want to ask you to select me for a PC member because I strongly believe that our community needs to work together to establish such amazing events like RIPE meeting, so I decided to become a so?called candidate. And since next year meeting will be in Warsaw and I am from Poland, as I said, I think I could contribute to that and enhance the possibility to process some interesting speakers from my country. Thank you.

BRIAN NISBET: A round of applause for the willing to stand, if nothing else.

So thank you very much, gentlemen. So, voting is open on those URLs which I am now carefully not blocking. So, very simple: One person, one vote, the person with the majority ?? largest number of votes, not the majority, wins and we will announce the result at eleven. And thank you again to anyone who stands for the PC and also all the people who can contribute ideas to us and as was said on Monday it's an ongoing process to improve the programme and we are I think very, very, I suppose almost humbled of the response the community has given us since we set up this project. So please vote. Thank you very much and Nick, I will hand back to you at this point in time.

NICK HYRKA: Thank you, Brian, thank you, PC, and vote. We have one final presentation, and I apologise to Elise for having to make her wait, and saving the best for last so we have got Elise Gerich from IANA to do the IANA update.

ELISE GERICH: Obviously he doesn't know me very well, I am not very patient at all. I would like to give you update on some of the stuff the IANA has been doing for ICANN and for the community. And Paul mentioned some of the things that I hadn't even planned to talk about, so if you want to have questions on those I am happy to address them.

So I think this is the way this works. So, anyway, I am sure you all know, but I just wanted to reiterate that in October of 2012, the US government renewed the contract or actually didn't renew, they gave us a new different contract for the IANA functions, the operations of the IANA functions, and it began in October 2012, it will last for three years. And at the end of three years, there is the possibility of two, two year extensions to the existing contract.

So, we continue to do the IANA functions at ICANN.

One of the things I'd like to highlight in my presentation today is all the public consultations that the IANA department has been publishing on the ICANN website. These public consultations are for you, the community, to provide input to us and to let us know how we should be doing our job to serve us. And there is several that I will be talking about, because I know no one can read this slide, in fact I can't even read it up here. And I will tell you which ones are open, which ones are closed and which ones are coming up.

So basically, one of the first public consultations we put out that has closed is about a customer service complaint resolution process. One of the big surprises from the responses was that nobody knew we had one. So, some of the comments were that we needed to find a way to put this up on the website so that people know that if they are unhappy with some process or something we are doing, that you know there is a process and a way to get an escalation. Because I guess we call it the escalation process in the past and people didn't know about it.

One of the other key inputs that we got from this consultation, which we will be doing, is to publish metrics and measurements about how many complaints we get, and at the ICANN meeting, the last ICANN meeting in Beijing, one of the comments we had in the ASO group meeting there was maybe it shouldn't be called a complaint process, but it should be a feedback process, so you can provide feedback in general, constructive criticism versus just complaining about what we do.

But this consultation has been closed, we have some action items to try and let you know more about what we are doing and the ability to work with us to resolve issues, if you have them.

Another consultation which we had, which was of great interest to this community particularly, was having some performance standards for what we do for you regarding Internet number resources, would you really like to know ?? have some we will that take that as a serious action for us to go forward and make sure we communicate better about what the status of various activities that are related to global policies that you have passed.

A secure notification process, this is primarily of how we notify you of any maintenance things or other topics of interest that are more private, I guess, to your interactions with us. And we have had this secure notification process in place for quite a long time. The comments were mostly very supportive of this, and what we do today, and we did have one comment ?? we only received two comments, and one of the comments was to sell us software that would help us notify you securely, and we thank them for their input, and the other was just a statement of satisfaction pretty much of what we are doing.

I think the primary change that we'd like to make from the comments is that we were asked to put notifications also up on our website if they are more generally of interest to the public so I don't know if that is considered secure but it is a way of notifying more broadly if there is not a private communication. So we will be looking into that and coming up with a target and time?line of when it will be done.

There is an open public consultation right now about the route zone KSK roll over and I know many of the folks in the RIPE community either manage their own TLDs, ccTLDs or others, and so this may or may not be of interest, or if you have already signed your TLD, maybe you have had some experience with a key roll over. We are still in the consultation process until May 31st, and we certainly welcome any more comments before we evaluate all of them. I think we have received about 22 comments to this point in time.

So this is one of the global policies and implementations that we have had to do on your behalf. And obviously, you have requested it as a community, and that is the implementation of the IPv4 recovery pool.

So, right now, it is published, there is a registry published on the IANA website. It's a little bit hard to find, so we will be putting better direction there. If you'd like the URL it's a really, really long URL, I will be happy to give it to you afterwards or I can send it to some list if someone would like it.

The other question I always get about the recovery pool is, how many addresses are there. There is approximately 1.2 /8s ?? actually there is no /8 but they add up to about 1.2 /8s and that is in the recovery pool, and it will be triggered based on the distribution from that pool will be triggered based on the policy and the algorithm within the policy.

So, we are not finished asking for input, and ways to improve the way we serve you. We have some upcoming public consultations. One of them on the identification of source policies and procedures, and that was mentioned by Paul earlier today. And the other is what are the relevant user instructions that implement those policies and procedures that we implement on behalf of the community.

And we have some reports from consultations that have closed that are not yet published, and they will be performance standards for delegations and redelegations of both ccTLDs and gTLDs.

And hopefully you recognise some of the people in this picture, and I think it came out pretty well. So we have quarterly KSK key signing ceremonies, and this was the one that just took place in May, and these were the participants. Every one of the key signing ceremonies for the KSK root key signing has community members that act as trusted representatives of the community, and we had a successful key signing ceremony yet again and we thank everyone from the community who travel on behalf of your community to represent you.

This is something, again, about root zone automation and handling of requests for TLDs. And we had a project underway to add an enhancement to the automated system that the IANA has run for the last two years along with Verisign and NTIA and that is to create new TLDs. You guys probably know that there is going to be a bunch of gTLDs coming in, there could be as many as 1,400 I think, maybe even up to 1900. So, we wanted to have this new feature which is create TLDs. When we did the first implement two years ago we were only creating a TLD maybe once a year at most so we hadn't spent a lot of time adding that feature into the automation because it didn't happen very often. Well now, it may happen more frequently and there will be more changes related to those TLDs. So the feature went into production on May 1st, and we can now create through the RZM system if you are a gTLD owner you will have credentials and you can initiate based on the criteria.

Finally, we have two new staff in the IANA department. That is Deleany Komeni and she works specifically with the DNSSEC and the information security related to maintaining the KSK. She works very closely with Toma Fumi and Paula Wang has joined our department and she also is an IANA specialist handling requests for ASN numbers or IP addresses or changes to the TLDs.

And hopefully, in three years, there will they will be standing in front of you you like I am today to celebrate my third year an anniversary of being with ICANN for three years. So thank you very much.


I forgot to ask: Are there any questions? Okay.


NICK HYRKA: Thank you very much. Now, it looks like we have extra time, which we won't use. You can use it for your coffee break, finish up on your mails, but I want to thank you all for your dedication and your interest and getting up early for us. The ?? there is a packed agenda starting at 11 o'clock, so, please, we will start on time, be here and yeah, I like Ireland, I hope you do too. Thank you.